This is a taste test do not eat drink or chew gum for 15 min prior to exam
WHAT IS A N95 RESPIRATOR FIT TEST?
A respirator fit test determines if a tight-fitting respirator can be worn without having any leaks. It should take place after an employee has been medically cleared to wear a respirator and before the employee wears it on the job. A respirator fit test is required for all tight-fitting respirators. Employees must complete the fit test using a respirator that’s the same make, model, and size as one they will wear on the job while also wearing any other required equipment (e.g., glasses).
How often should i fit tested?
OSHA requires qualitative or quantitative fit testing before a user wears a mandatory respirator on the job, and must be assessed at least annually. In addition, fit tests should be performed:
- whenever a different size, style, model or make of respirator is used, and
- when any facial changes occur that could affect fit, such as significant weight fluctuation or dental work
Qualitative Fit Test (QLFT)
A qualitative fit test (QLFT) may only be used to fit-test:
- Negative-pressure, air-purifying respirators, as long as they’ll only be used in atmospheres where the hazard is at less than 10 times the permissible exposure limit (PEL).
- Tight-fitting facepieces used with powered and atmosphere-supplying respirators.
QLFT is pass/fail and relies on the user’s senses using one of four OSHA-accepted test agents:
- Isoamyl acetate (banana smell); only for testing respirators with organic vapor cartridges.
- Saccharin (sweet taste); can test respirators with a particulate filter of any class.
- Bitrex® (bitter taste); can also test respirators with particulate filters of any class.
- Irritant smoke (involuntary cough reflex); only for testing respirators with level 100 particulate filters.
Each QLFT method uses seven exercises performed for 1 minute each:
- Normal breathing.
- Deep breathing.
- Moving head side to side.
- Moving head up and down.
- Bending over (or jogging in place if fit test unit doesn’t permit bending at the waist).
- Normal breathing again.
Our site only performs qualitative fit test for employess as described above. any questions. Please call us.
A respirator fit test determines if a tight-fitting respirator can be worn without having any leaks. It should take place after an employee has been medically cleared to wear a respirator and before the employee wears it on the job. Employee’s must be medically cleared to wear a respirator prior to fit testing, you will have to have your primary care provider sign off on your forms before starting work on the job.
How much does it cost?
$65.00 per employee testing. this fee may be reimbusible by your employee or on your taxes as a job required expenses. This fee goes to the overhead and supplies for fit testing program.
How does this test work?
We use 3M fit testing package for respirator fit testing. (pictured below)
Scheduling my fit testing?
Call 347-719-2771 to schedule your respiratory fit testing. Agencies can call our customer service number if they want to provide on site fit testing for there employees. This is a taste test do not eat drink or chew gum for 15 min prior to exam.
Book Online https://emstrainingny.enrollware.com/schedule#ct325971 or Call 347-719-2771 for an appointment